Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy



Monday (10/29/12) and Tuesday (10/30/12)


This hurricane really surprised us all here in New York City. I didn't think it was going to be a bad storm, but sadly I am mistaken. I wrote about it for Examiner.com. 





 I am lost for words tonight. The destruction Sandy has caused is unprecedented! MTA subways are shutdown until further notice, there’s limited bus service in all five boroughs; some bridges and tunnels remain closed as well as LaGuardia airport. People lost their homes due to flooding, fires (like the massive fire in Breezy Point, Queens), uprooted trees toppled on houses and cars, the list goes on and on. Sadly, many have lost their lives, children as well. I’ve been watching the news coverage since Monday morning and throughout the night. My area was affected but not as bad as other areas near me. Here in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn we have some downed trees and fallen scaffolding. The vacant lot is completely vacant with scattered debris and its door torn down.  My heart goes out to friends who were affected by this storm. I’m grateful to the First Responders and volunteers who sacrificed their lives to help others. I’m grateful to be here because none of us were exempt from this storm.

It’s times like this that really makes you stop and think about the important things in life. The petty BS we tend to focus on, the prejudices we inflict on one another, the unnecessary hate, doesn’t matter when we are all in the eye of a storm. I have been personally affected by prejudice as of late, and it made me sick, literally. It’s one of those situations I don’t like to discuss, because in this day and age it shouldn’t happen. The color of one’s skin shouldn’t determine who should get respect or not. Everyone should be respected. After feeling upset by this latest occurrence and the arrival of hurricane Sandy, has humbled me and made me wiser. Nature’s forces are bigger than us. In times of need, color, race, culture, sexuality, weight class, tall or short, none of those things matter when Nature makes her presence known. None of us are an exception; we are ALL in this together.
I signed up to volunteer in the recovery efforts of Sandy’s aftermath. I pray I can be of some comfort to people whose experienced great lost. 
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." (Psalm 46:1)



No comments:

Post a Comment