Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 8, 2014

February Thoughts on Crafting, Goals, and Love

Crafting


It's now February and a snowy one. New York City has been hit with snow storm after snow storm. It is winter after all. Luckily, I don't have to experience the slushy, slippery sidewalks and streets. However, I don't like the winter season. It's dark, gloomy, and cold. It always makes me feel melancholy. Spring can't come fast enough. I have to admit, this winter season hasn't gotten me down. I've been in good spirits despite the constant hip pain. Since crafting, I feel excited recycling and upcycling used items. I feel I see things differently more now than before. I'm sure I can be annoying taking out empty bottles and cans from my recycling can at home. I think my family understands what I'm doing even when I stop them from throwing things out. Don't get me wrong, I don't save or collect everything. I love cans, plastic bottles, beer bottles (even though I rarely drink beer or any alcoholic beverage), and cardboard. Cardboard is my favorite item to collect. I love paper too, especially maps and paper with lots of colors on it.

I recently made a handbag from magazine paper. I'm surprised how cool it came out. The handle is from a Victoria's Secret shopping bag. It got a lot of attention on social media and family. Maybe I have a hidden talent somewhere, never know. I'm told I should teach craft making, or sell what I make online. I appreciate the compliments, but I don't think I'm at that level yet. I craft for the love of it. If someone wants me to make them something, I'd do it for free. I love it that much. In making this bag, I had to fold a lot of paper. The day I made it I was in a lot of pain. I did a wrong exercise at physical therapy which caused me great pain and difficulty walking. However, I was determined to make this bag. Between Pandora radio listening to house music (my favorite type of music), and folding paper, it helped take my mind off the pain temporarily. The end result was worth it. I started a blog on Tumblr of my creations. It's called, Art by Sunbubbes at www.darasunbubbles.tumblr.com. I also started a Facebook group called Crafting R Us. There we create, share, and discuss crafting ideas. I'm surprised by the turnout but so happy people are getting into it.

Goals

When I'm not crafting, I focus on the goals I set for this year. So far I have accomplished some of those goals in January. I am purposely not mentioning what that is yet. I will when the time is right. It's big, and something I've always wanted to do. I'm half way there which is exciting. Another goal I can discuss is my writing. I am working on taking my writing to the next level. I'm still working on my book, and writing here on the Creative Corner and DaraSunSparkles blog on Wordpress. However, I want to do more freelance writing work. I still enjoy writing news articles, and would like to cover more stories for media outlets on and offline. I am researching that, as well as, trying to network with people in the freelance-journalism business. I've gotten critiqued by a journalist last Fall on one of my Examiner.com articles. He was straightforward, blunt, and helpful on the content I was presenting and grammar usage. I want more of that so I can perfect my writing skills. Also, I would like to get paid for my articles. I'm learning how to go about that. I read a lot on my down days. Down days are days when I'm not feeling well and cannot sit up to write or craft. I read everything I can about freelance writing, price setting, taxes, etc. I feel I'm on the right track.

February Thoughts

February is Black history month and is also the time we celebrate love on Valentine's Day. As a Black woman, I am particularly proud to be celebrating in a month where my ancestors are remembered for their contributions to society. If you're curious as to where my ancestors originate from, they are from Nigeria and the United States. I'm told that my grandmother on my mom's side was Native American and from the Seneca tribe. Maybe that's where I get my unique features from. I love it no less. Despite the hardship I've faced as a Black woman, it doesn't make me less proud of who I am. I don't care if my color bothers anyone. That's their ignorance and in many cases their stupidity. I will say that there is more to me than my skin color. I welcome anyone to get to know me; anyone willing to look beyond the color of my skin.

Love



Valentine's Day is a day I never really liked. Growing up, I always felt left out from the hearts and love notes. I only received that twice in high school from a special friend whom to this day I appreciate. We never dated, but he knew how to make a lady feel special. It was also nice to be told "I love you," instead of "I'm not interested in you." In my relationships, I had few moments where I smiled on that day, but it was never what I'd hoped it to be. I usually ended up disappointed. For years, I stopped caring and ignored the day all together. A few years ago, I grew to like it again. I didn't have a boyfriend, but I had a better attitude about it. I was teaching then so my focus was doing Valentine's Day crafts in class. This year, I am looking forward to it. I still don't have a boyfriend, but I have friends. I have a lot of love to share. What better way to share the love by making something for others? Recently, my mom and I made Valentine's Day cards for seniors as part of an initiative with DoSomething.org. I was so inspired that I decided to do that with friends. I shared on Facebook that we should do a Valentine's day card exchange. The goal is to hand make the cards and send to each other. Some people were interested so I have some cards to make. It's also a special day for me, because a few years ago I met a dear friend of mine. I guess I have a lot to smile about.

Love is beautiful whether it's in the form of friendship or a relationship. Someday I will have the relationship I desire, but friendship has always meant a lot to me. I rather have that than nothing at all. So here's to love today and everyday. Valentine's Day is just a day, but love should be celebrated always. I love always.




No comments:

Post a Comment