Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Walk and My New Found Love for Crafting


On January 12, I took my first walk. It's been a month since surgery and despite my reluctance I decided to take a slow stroll up the block from my home. Once I got outside, I stood silently remembering the first steps I took after my first surgery in 2012. I did the same thing I did that year, I stood looking up at the sun and said thank you. It was a bit chilly for a Sunday afternoon. In 2012, it was March and the weather was much nicer. My mom accompanied me as we walked slowly to the corner. It was then I saw some new graffiti art. I had taken a picture of its original art on the side of a store. Apparently, its now different and more vibrant with colors. I will take pictures of it in due time. I love street art, particularly graffiti and murals. We walked to the store, a new discount store that had me smiling from ear to ear. Everything in it had things I needed, wanted, and brought memories of when I used to teach. It also had things I could use to craft things with such as rhinestones, seashells, and contact paper. This is the biggest one we've had in some time. I am happy it is here. In walking back home, I felt pain through my leg and foot. I wasn't surprised. I was just happy to be outside and under the sun. I missed it. I miss the waterfront. I will get there soon.

I began physical therapy on January 8. The place I go to is convenient since it's near my home. I still use an ambulette service to take me there. Soon I hope to return taking the bus. I don't miss the crowds on the infamous B38 bus! The physical therapists are very nice. They fully explained my condition and gave me an estimate as to when I should be back on my feet. They're predicting 3-4 months, however it will be a year (or more depending on my body) until I'm fully healed. Since this is the second surgery on the same hip and two different procedures were done, my recovery will be unique. The not so good news is this has affected my balance and walking tremendously. The physical therapist saw how my foot goes sideways when I walk and is concerned. I have noticed it in recent pictures of me standing up. I prepared for any changes to my walk before surgery. I am not alarmed but concerned as well. I will never be a model or walk the runway, so it is okay. The good news is I am making progress, but need to pace myself. As the therapist said, "After all, you just had surgery a month ago."

The Melancholy Effect

The one thing I still dislike about the recovery process is what I call the melancholy effect. It's when time seems to be passing you by, and you are still. It's the lonely feelings that creep up, as well as, missing to do the things you used to do. I am an independent person. It is hard for me to ask for help at times. I like to do things on my own. Being dependent is something I have yet to get used to. I may never get used to it. The lack of camaraderie can be difficult too, because you can't go out or do much. I'm not a homebody and enjoy being outside. I rarely invite anyone to my home. There are many reasons for that, but here's a few. I don't like where I live, I have trust issues, and don't like being indoors. There are few people I wouldn't mind visiting me, but my home isn't an open house. I like to keep some things private in my life, even though I don't have anything to hide, ironic!  Lastly, I become reminiscent during these down times. To avoid becoming depressed, I get creative. I also pray, read, and work towards my goals. In this month alone, I already accomplished 4 things. That's something to smile about.

My New Found Love for Crafting


My workstation

I have been crafting lately which helps me deal with the lonely moments. It also helps me think of more things to create. I love recycled art most, because not only you help save the planet, but reuse things for other purposes. Being creative makes me happy, and allows me to express myself more just differently. I have a long road ahead in my recovery, why not do something to make it less painful. I can list what I made but pictures speak louder than words. Here are a few examples. Enjoy!

Recycled cardboard box
Add an old light, some makeup mirrors and contact paper...

And a new jewelry box is born!
Must have some bling--an old brooch and some rhinestones makes the outside look divine!


A used cell phone box decorated with contact paper and stickers
Paper towel rolls decorated with recycled magazine paper, maps, and more
 
Put them together to create storage for pens, pencils, etc. 
Who says oatmeal has to be boring?
 
Re-create its container for storage--decorate using an old subway map
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dara,

    I love all the creative crafts you are creating! They look like so much to make and they must be so nice and fun to look at afterwards.

    During this stage while you are healing [but only when you are well enough], you may want to consider volunteering once a week or so at some after school or Y program to help young children create their own crafts.

    You are so talented at this and could offer the children so much… it would also have the side benefit of lifting your spirits and being something to add to your resume.

    Feel much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Dorlee! I always appreciate your kind comments and readership :) I'm considering participating in arts and crafts with children. I think that would be a nice experience.

    ReplyDelete