Total Pageviews

Friday, May 11, 2012

Should I be called "Investigator Dara?"


I've been on my own trail of something different in which I've been promoting my writing and doing some investigative work. This is also Teacher's Appreciation Week where we teachers are honored for our hard work and dedication to our students. I'm proud to be a teacher. I'm proud to be a writer. I love to write both creatively and about newsworthy issues. In knowing Greg Mocker from PIX11 news, he has inspired me to write and investigate matters that's happening in NYC, particularly in my neighborhood.

Last week I posted about a vacant lot that's been posing danger in my neighborhood. I've wrote about it on Examiner.com, called NYC311, and shared this with Mocker and another reporter on PIX11. I am happy to report that my concerns have been heard. Not only did Mocker reported about this lot on Wednesday, he got in contact with the lot's owner (http://www.wpix.com/videogallery/69860127/News/Mocker--Empty-Lot-Fight#pl-62885206). He is now aware of the situation. I witnessed some men, which is believed to be the lot's owners or representatives from the realty company, assessing the trash inside the lot. The lot owner, according to Mocker, said he will have the lot cleaned up. I checked the lot today. It still looks the same. Let's hope the owner keeps his word.
Here's my recent article about this update: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-vacant-lot-saga-continues

Its been four weeks into the semester and each day I admire my students more and more. They have been working very hard in learning English, and have a positive attitude about it. For homework, I asked them to describe their perfect day. The next day, I had them draw or cut out pictures describing their perfect day. I love art and think it's a great way to express oneself. On a personal note, it helps relieve stress, anxiety, or sadness. I have to admit this assignment not only helped them practice English, it helped cheer up my mood.

I've been seeking volunteer opportunities in social services to gain experience and insight into the social work field. I submitted applications and my resume, but so far no luck. I always thought finding volunteer opportunities would be easier than landing a job. I was wrong. I won't give up. My goal in life is to help people and make a difference. I pray an opportunity presents itself to me soon.

So should I be called "Investigator Dara?" Nah, I think I'll stick to being called "Teacher" and "Writer" for now.

1 comment:

  1. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

    As for the Lot, let's keep an eye on the it. Inspector Dara :)

    ReplyDelete