Total Pageviews

Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: My year in review

It was just a year ago when I said, "happy new year" to my mom and brother. I texted this message to friends from my cell phone. I wished everyone a good new year 2012 on Facebook and Twitter. And in a a few more hours, I will say "happy new year 2013!" Where have the time gone? Year 2012 was a good year, especially for the Creative Corner. There were more views and readership this year than last. I had a chance to discuss my posts with fans, as well as, share with people who never heard of this blog. I'm happy of how far this Corner has come in two years. I'm very proud of that. This year also changed my life. I had a successful hip surgery which allows me to walk today. I thank God every day I can walk with no assistance.

I turned 31 and gained new perspective about life. I've let go of old emotional baggage, a job where I didn't feel appreciated at, and pursued all my career interests. I'm grateful for writing for Examiner, covering stories about my passion, adult literacy/ESL and the MTA. Being on TV news has been great too, allowing my voice to be heard. Having a chance to meet my favorite reporters from PIX 11 was an experience I'll never forget. They are my mentors and inspiration. I've become more creative with my writing. Writing more poetry, about things that I was once shy about, has boosted my ego. I'm no longer afraid to speak my mind about things that are personal to me. 

Late summer, I earned my Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification, and by Fall taught my own ESL class at a community center. Although the class was short lived, it was a chance for me to reconnect with former students. It also showed me that I am capable of having my own class, and do things my way. A new ESL class awaits in 2013, stay tuned. Joining the NYC Civic Corps (an AmeriCorps program) in October has allowed me to volunteer in a variety of projects. I teach an ESL class to seniors, volunteer in hurricane Sandy relief projects, and just became a certified client caseworker with the American Red Cross. There's still more to come. I'll save that for a later post. Lastly, being accepted to the University of Southern California (USC) Master's in Social Work program is something I can't describe in words. I'm so proud to be a MSW student and pursue a career I have much respect for.

On a personal note, I loved me more this year than last. I've become more direct and not tolerated anyone to mistreat me. It has cost some friendships which I don't mind. A true friend doesn't mistreat another anyway. I've had some down times of feeling unappreciated in current friendships. It's easy for me to love and be there for others. Unfortunately, I went from being there to being a people pleaser. I allowed myself to be too open; I believe for some they felt it was okay to take advantage. I've cried to a few people I wish I hadn't, and revealed my dreams and goals to many who displayed envy. How unfortunate. I know now I can't be a people pleaser simply because it's not possible to please everyone. It's not healthy and fair to self. I will no longer expect anything from anyone. Lastly, I will stop holding on to those who don't want to be held. Letting go has never been easy for me. I care and love people very much, maybe too much. Despite how I feel, I am deserving to be loved and cared for too. Friendship is a two way street.

2013...may this new year be one of peace, happiness, love, respect, and humility. Here's to more opportunities, reflection, and learning. Blessings to all and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment