Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hello April!

It's April and saying that puts a smile on my face. This is my birthday month. I am turning 32 years old on the 22nd and cannot believe it. At times I still feel like I'm 18 or 21 years of age, but I've embraced the 30th mark. Despite the trying times (all part of adulthood anyway), I am happy to be here and well enough to celebrate each day as it comes. April is also special because it's National Poetry Month. As a proud poet, this is the time I like to showcase my poetic thoughts to the world. It's also the time poetry contests arise. I will keep my eyes open for those opportunities. In celebrating self, I got my hair done yesterday. What a nice way to start a new month with a new do! Countdown to bday32 begins now!



 
From client casework to chicken?

Thursday 3/28/13: The process of me transitioning from doing intake to casework has begun. I am excited to learn the ins and outs of how to assess clients, and help them in receiving much needed resources. It's not easy and there's a lot to remember but I am up for the challenge. I thank my manager for giving me this opportunity to do something I really want to do. I believe this will allow me to gain more experience in casework and be able to help more people. Usually when I finish a day of volunteering at the Red Cross, I stop and get a chai latte from Starbucks and head to the train station. Sipping the creamy tea on
my way home is relaxing.


Once I arrive at my stop, there's a chicken spot I go to buy something to eat. The manager and workers there are nice. When I walked in, we said hello and I ordered some chicken and French fries. Before leaving, the manager asked if I was looking for work. When I told him yes, he offered me to work for him. At first, I thought he was kidding, but he said "We need more people like you, always smiling." I was surprised and grateful for the offer. He took down my number and said he'll call and let me know when I can start. God has a wicked sense of humor! Who would’ve thought I’d be offered a job at my local chicken spot while pursuing a career in social work? I am not proud. A job is a job. So how do you like your chicken?

Reflection
In celebrating me during this month of April, I am going with the flow and doing things that make me happy. Writing is one of those things. I am happy to share my thoughts with you on this Creative Corner. You are welcomed to celebrate with me as I turn a new age and start a new beginning.









1 comment:

  1. Love the look :) and your journey begins..........

    ReplyDelete