Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Love Day

 
It's Valentine's Day, and I will be the first to admit that I don't have a Valentine. I'm okay with that. As a single woman, I've gotten used to being alone especially on this day. When I was a teenager, I would become depressed by watching all my friends receive heart-shaped balloons, roses, chocolate candy, or being arm and arm with their mates. I never had a boyfriend in high school. Once I became an adult, I attempted celebrating V-day with past boyfriends, which didn't really matter to them either way. Now that I'm single, this day doesn't make me feel sad or less loved. In fact, I feel good knowing that I have more love for myself and others than I ever had. Odd, on a day when we're taught or pressured to have a mate and buy gifts, I'm okay not having any of that. I guess I've matured over the years. Love is beautiful, it's universal and should be celebrated everyday. I'm not knocking Valentine's Day and its meaning. I'm simply suggesting that we shouldn't wait one day out the year to express love. I have love in my life and there are many people in it that I love. The only love I do not have is the romantic kind, and for that I'll wait.

To wait or not to wait, that is the question.

Waiting for love is a process. It's not the easiest thing to do and takes effort to do so. Some may say, why wait? There are many reasons people wait for love. I will share mine. I've learned that I rather wait for something good to come than snatch any thing that comes my way. I've pursued, I've asked guys out, I've chased, I've loved, I've done it all and still I'm alone. I'm not upset about this because it's was a lesson learned.  It's not worth my self-respect to throw myself at men. I rather the man approach me. I look forward to the day when that does happen.

I believe, more now than before, that loving self must come first in order to love others. Once that happens, the cycle of love begins; people will gravitate to that love.  Being single isn't always easy, but it's something some of us have to experience before getting involved. For me, it's a journey to understand me more, and be mindful of how to love and whom to love. My hope is the next time I'm involved, we will love each other, we will compliment each other.

Happy Love Day to all the lovers out there, the singles to the married, may we all continue to love ourselves and others.

1 comment:

  1. I think the lyrics from the Spinners song It Takes A Fool says it best:

    It takes a fool to learn
    That love don't love nobody
    It takes a fool to learn
    That love don't love no one

    ReplyDelete